Monday, July 23, 2007

Art Philosophies

Art has been talked about as a function of a number of different aspects of the overall group. For the most part this can be brought back towards a cultural existence with in the society itself; or the overall complete group expierence of history. Some groups disregard their old methods of art and move towards new ones because of different reasons.

Personal Conflict

I do consider myself to be an artist. I do not consider myself a talented artist, however I struggle with questions about WHAT I should draw. For the past four or five months I have been at a stalemate in artistic development. I question where I should move next and why I should move in that direction; and of course why I choose to be creative at all!

My Two Schools of Thought
  • Order
    • Order is basically chaos but with a recognizable pattern. For the most part all art falls into an orderly form after the first of its type has been made. Drip paintings are orderly once you've seen more then one. Even if you take a paint bucket and throw it at a wall this is order in some minute since of the word. Order is just a way of patternizing objects even if the object seems unpatterned at the start.
    • This said Order can also be looked at in a more traditional way. Order is symbolic. Order is simplicity, order is safe, and order gives us ease in design. All of these have been something which I have focused on in the last years. Patterns are interesting to me; I look at chaos in general for patterns and thus beg the question, "Where is the order?" For many years I have worked off a canon of paper models which are in all forms orderly. However I find it hard to sometimes find purpose in this art. Is it merely commercial or am I gaining some higher level of existence from it?
  • Chaos
    • Yet Chaos attracts me. Ignoring patterns is interesting, albeit difficult. Can we combine the two? Yes but it will look like predestined chaos. How can we exemplify the perfect artistic aesthetic of chaos? Is a drip painting chaos, or is it a brand new style of looking at the world even if that happens to turn out looking realistic?
Wondering where I go from the two conflicting aspects brings me to a stall in any drawing. I have done both; deviantart is my source for Chaos; juniorgeneral for order. These two aspects are conflicting and finding the solution on which is best will plauge me for a while.


No comments: